before the inaugural FIFA World Cupô in 1930, the newly drafted regulations
stipulated that the winners should be rewarded with a new trophy, with French
sculptor Abel Lafleur being assigned this prestigious task.
trophy had a hazardous existence. The Italian Vice-President of FIFA,
Dr.Ottorino Barassi, hid it in a shoe-box under his bed throughout the Second
World War and thus saved it from falling into the hands of occupying troops.
Then in 1966,
the cup disappeared while on display as part of the build-up to the World Cup in
1983, it was stolen again, this time in
trophy was 35cm high and weighed approximately 3.8 kg. The statuette was made of
sterling silver and gold plated, with a blue base made of semi-precious stone
There was a
gold plate on each of the four sides of the base, on which were engraved the
name of the trophy as well as the names of the nine winners between 1930 and